Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ostrich Festival 3-11-11

Ok, after Gilbert Days I'm getting the hang of the rip-off carnival tickets and rides...also thanks to the pay it forward lady who gave me 7 tickets on her way out!  We found a better deal on the carousel ride than Gilbert Days (see Laney smile, top): for kid alone, 4 tickets. For kid + parent, 5 tickets.

The petting zoo was free (unless you fell for buying the $1, $2, or $3 cup of food) and had the coolest hooved ungulates:  Jacob goats (with 4 horns!), a zebu, a yak, a long-horn steer, and a watusi (see second photo).  Say wah-TOOO-si, it's fun!  Note to petting zoo owners -- they're YOUR animals, YOU buy the food!! There were two particularly aggressive begging goats that were hilarious!

Follow-up edit: I was thinking maybe ungulates are all hooved, so that's redundant, and I checked, and it is redundant. Because ungulate means hooved.  Sigh...it's hard being a word girl.

Lessons learned:
A carnie in a clean shirt is still a carnie.  But fresher!
A 41 inch kid looks like a 42 inch kid in a fuzzy hoodie with the hood up.
"Free" is not free
The ostriches on display at the Ostrich Festival need to be easier to find.
I need a t-shirt:  "I survived the 2011 Ostrich Festival" but didn't see them anywhere!

3 comments:

Queen B said...

love that picture of Laney's smile :)

um, I don't know what any of those animals are! apparently I need to spend more time at the petting zoo

Diane said...

I have never been to the Ostrich festival.

Jane said...

Free is a good price when it is free

I love that last photo!