Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

"A Victory Without Honor Is A Great Loss"

So said the head of the school who won a girls basketball blowout, score: 100-0.

Wow. High school sports (albeit between two private girls schools) is developing some interesting morality. And in Texas no less!!! I like it.

A freshman player from the losing team (winless in 4 seasons) said, "Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing. Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."
How many of us -- and our kids -- could use a little more of that philosophy?

US Airways Miracle

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breath free . . .
We've all been tired, huddled, and yearning to breathe free on delayed flights, cancelled flights, flights that return to the gate and off load passengers because of bad weather, lightning strikes, and acts of nature.
But travel challenges aside, all hail the US Airways pilots who landed this plane and saved everyone on board.
We all could use a little good news today.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Please, Paul, Make Me Thin!

Yes, because it's really that easy. Some balding British guy with cool glasses and a pinstriped suit can make you thin, just like that. His schtick (TM):
-You won't count calories
-You won't depend on exercise
-You won't sabotage yourself
-You WILL eat the foods you love!
Apparently, you've been wasting your time trying to understand metabolism, eating habits, your own attitudes toward food, and the mysteries of exercise. Though I will agree that gobs of us DO sabotage ourselves in one way or another. So now you need an audio hypnosis guide. To regain control of your weight.

The Problem With Paul (PWP) is that truly, some people DO need to count calories, and some people DO need to focus on exercise. And it's not a breakthrough to realize that ALL of us need to eat the foods we love -- in moderation. I'll bet any given diet works for about 5% of the population, and the other 95% need to find and follow the diets that work for THEM!

But if it works for that 5%: great. Good luck to everyone else. Thanks Paul -- see you on Oprah.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Does Anyone Know Sign Language Etiquette?

I am checking out at Target, and the cashier has a sign up "Hi, my name is Jami and I'm hearing impaired. Please use the writing board and pen if you need to communicate."

Cool -- we don't need to talk, so I do my transaction -- I'm getting all ready to say "thank you" in sign language after she does, because after five years of Blues Clues and Signing Time, I can at least do this one . . . and I do, but my right hand is FULL of receipt and that damned coupon you always get and my debit card. So maybe it looks like I'm just randomly waving the receipts at her? Her expression doesn't really change, no recognition, but I can't tell if that was awkward and ambiguous ... so I leave the checkstand wondering: is signing with your hands full completely rude, like talking with your mouth full?!?!? Anyone have the answer? Little help here?

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Wall of Frame

This vision has been in my head for about a year -- filling up the blank hallway at the top of the stairs -- so after waiting for the right sales at frame stores, picking through kid photos, and finding a free weekend for planning and execution . . . it's DONE!

I'm not sure I'm sold on this composite frame -- it holds four 8x10s or a combination of 4x6s and 5x7s, but the layout is tough get perfect because of the portrait/landscape issue. I'm sure if I just leave it hanging for a few weeks, I will stop thinking about it tho.

Now if I could only get going on those first-year baby photo books . . .