Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Does Anyone Know Sign Language Etiquette?


I am checking out at Target, and the cashier has a sign up "Hi, my name is Jami and I'm hearing impaired. Please use the writing board and pen if you need to communicate."

Cool -- we don't need to talk, so I do my transaction -- I'm getting all ready to say "thank you" in sign language after she does, because after five years of Blues Clues and Signing Time, I can at least do this one . . . and I do, but my right hand is FULL of receipt and that damned coupon you always get and my debit card. So maybe it looks like I'm just randomly waving the receipts at her? Her expression doesn't really change, no recognition, but I can't tell if that was awkward and ambiguous ... so I leave the checkstand wondering: is signing with your hands full completely rude, like talking with your mouth full?!?!? Anyone have the answer? Little help here?

7 comments:

Paula said...

Good question! I have no idea!

Queen B said...

haha. this is a great question!

Andrea said...

Interesting, but good question.

Kim Thomas said...

All these helpful HCBC members. "Great Question"

Bianka said...

Let us know if you ever find out! I had never thought of it before.

Jane said...

Yo habla espanol muy pocito

Anonymous said...

I know it's two years on, but you might still be looking for an answer. I'm not sure about ASL etiquette, but in BSL (British Sign Language) it is considered similar to like you said - talking with your mouth full.

If she didn't respond or smile or anything ... maybe she doesn't sign (or maybe uses a different sign language)? Not all D/deaf people do.