Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Blog Readability -- It's ON . . .

Ok, so blogging ringleader kim1champ checked a bunch of the blogs for readability ratings and (codicil -- she didn't necessarily agree with the results) . . . but found many of those checked rated "high school readability" level by some automated on-line reading level checker which may I add indignantly included not a word of criteria, justification, or explanation. So . . . it's ON. Now I will add a list of words I like to use (just ask my friends, I'm the vocab nerd) that I consider above high school reading level.

egregious
sanctimonious
savory
untenable
inexplicable
incongruous

That's just for starters. I am officially fired up like an Obama supporter on primary day in an underpopulated red state! Next time lets run the family xmas newsletter through the readability meter . . . (still fired up) . . . okay, how's this for readability . . . without cheating, I made it to level 49 on http://www.freerice.com/. If you haven't played, check it out -- it's a vocabulary quiz where sponsors donate rice to 3rd world nations for every word players answer right. It's fun and it's a good cause.

7 comments:

Jinjer said...

A. I LOVE that you are sticking up for us "high schoolers."

B. I like all the big word and I give them all a big thumbs up!

C. What an awesome cause - word games and charity in the same sentence? I am SO there!

Paula said...

Go get 'em. I agree. There should be some criteria posted! I haven't played FreeRice in ages! Thanks!

Kim Thomas said...

37 for me

Jane said...

High school friends always stand up for each other

I got 37 :)

Ann said...

Sounds like someone is having some anger issues! :)

Jenn Ann said...

Just because we can't all be geniuses... :)

Love the word sanctimonious...I need to use it more.

Bianka said...

JennAnn is being a snob. :)