Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I Mean Really -- Who Reads These?

When you were shopping for your most recent house purchase (or even your first house), any realty listing with "cottage" in the description (often accompanied by the term "charming") was probably red flagged in your mind, because cottage is a realtor euphemism for "small." So today I'm looking at a fundraiser email where they have a million magazines for sale and one of them is Cottage Living. How specialized is that? Who are their loyal readers? How do the editors devise new and creative articles month after month, issue after issue? Obviously, these people are professionals.

I also noticed the eye-catching, yet disturbingly "which of these things is not like the other" title Garden and Gun. How did these two items hook up in the publishing industry? I would love to take a peek at their demographics, I can tell you.

In my neighborhood, and across central and southern Arizona, and maybe even a great deal of California, we need our own "living" publication . . . maybe we could call it Suburban Stucco "Life in the Southwest Subdivision".

Here are some proposed articles . . . c'mon, who's with me?
"Fixing the Cracks -- for Good"
"Sun Screams: Pretty Windows That Beat The Heat"
"Lifetime Roof Tile Warranty: Dream or Reality"
"Harrassment by HOA -- Are YOU Compliant?"
"Best Use of Tandem Garages, 2008 Contest Winners"
"New Build or Existing Home, How I Chose" (Drama in Real Life)
"A Clean, Well Lighted Shed: Keeping it Invisible from Surrounding Properties"
"Easement Shmeasement -- How One Family Makes Four Feet Seem Like Ten"

11 comments:

Rochelle said...

Ha ha. We are living the dream, aren't we??

Paula said...

I'd like to read some of those articles. Especially the HOA!

Queen B said...

I'm really confused on why there is a beach babe on the cover of Gardens and Guns.

LoSpace said...

Couldn't resist looking up the backstory on Garden & Gun (Soul of the New South)..."Garden & Gun is dedicated to the sporting life and all things indigenous to the South and the Caribbean"

Kim Thomas said...

cottage definitely reaks of small. I should probably get it since I have a 1936 CA cottage

Jane said...

Everyone has to belong :)

Ann said...

I love your proposed articles!

BTW...Cottage living is very popular on Cape Cod! :)

Jinjer said...

LMFAO! Articles are awesome. Gardens and Guns??

Bianka said...

I love the Southwest Subdivision magazine.. I really think you've got something there.. go for it, you could make millions!

Andrea said...

Too funny-you should be an editor! I'm sure I would read those articles!

Sam James said...

I found a reader!

http://i38.tinypic.com/359lta1.jpg