Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Are You Kidding? How Medieval!

I go to the doctor with a complaint of hoarseness and coughing -- which has been going on for weeks. Off and on since late January. He thinks allergies, gives me some trial oral meds, and recommends I try Neti Pot. Ok, (me nodding seriously) you want me pour water from this cheesy looking blue plastic Disney teapot into one nostril and let it run out the other?  What?!?!  That's my treatment plan?

He went to undergrad then med school plus residency to tell me this? That's the best western medicine has to offer?!? Ok, I have friends who swear by this, but it seems so...so 19th century.  Perhaps I could apply some leeches as well...However, following another week of sore throat I'm going to try it. At least could they manufacture one that somehow looks more high-tech, or medical grade?

*sigh* Heading for CVS now...

4 comments:

Paula said...

I have told several doctors who have recommended this and other nasal sprays that they will never find me strung out on coke because I can not, will not, put anything up my nose. (because THATS the reason to not do coke)

"Disney teapot"!! LOL! Now I will think of you every time I see "Beauty & the Beast"

Queen B said...

wow!

I watched the Jessica Simpson show on VH1 a few weeks ago, and she did this in one country as a spa treatment. Did you feel refreshed afterwards?

Andrea said...

Don't knock it until you try it. I don't do the pot one, I have one that is more of a bottle that you use to squirt saline water up. The first time you try it hurts like all get out, but after a couple of times it really does help to clean out the sinuses. The do want to remember to breath through your mouth, though...

Kim Thomas said...

ro