Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Evil Empire Stays on My Naughty List

WalMart* (now with an asterisk instead of a star, why?!) remains stora non grata for me. I reluctantly made a minimal purchase there last week. Love the little message on the receipt...cleverly using that "dead space" to upsell the self checkout.  What target audience needs to be sold on using the self-checkout? Perhaps it is faster and easier, but "fun"?!?! Really? What freaks at WalMart think using a self checkout is "fun"? Is the word "convenient" too long or advanced for this space on the receipt?

In my experience, self checkout wasn't fast, either. The money sucker-in thingie kept rejecting my $1 bill. So I had to give it to the self checkout monitor and trade her for a less tattered one.  The funniest part was when she did a counterfeit exam on my rejected $1 bill, holding it up to the light and using her highly advanced counterfeit spotting skills to make sure I wasn't passing a fake SINGLE.  What?!?! Who would counterfeit $1 bills????!!! Apparently, a huge problem at WalMart...

Yes, still hating the Evil Empire...but laughing at it too.

5 comments:

Jenn Ann said...

We could do a whole blog about Walmart...but then we'd have to actually go there more frequently for material. Not sure if you caught my Facebook status last night, but I actually changed into jeans so that I could go to Target instead of just wearing sweatpants to Walmart. :)

Kim Thomas said...

I hate walmart but I do have to admit that the first time I did a self checkout (I think it was at home depot) I thought it was fun.....the fun was short lived.

Queen B said...

RO! It's those pesky $2 bills they should be on the lookout for ;)

I tend to think of the self checkout as the route to go when I don't want to deal with people. I have been a frequent user of it recently because it keeps me further away from the morons that work the regular checkouts...

Jane said...

Unfortunately I have succumbed to the evil giant

Paula said...

I only use the self-check out if the regular lines are more than 2 deep. Doing it myself makes me feel like I'm putting people out of a job. Funny that she's checking the singles!!