Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Move Over Dubliner, Here Comes Manchego

Yesterday's post included a reference to manchego, a cheese I feel compelled to write about in greater detail. Now, this is no slap to Dubliner, which is also great cheese (and much better at nearly room temp, not refrigerated). Meet Manchego, the cheese of La Mancha, made from whole sheep's milk. And these sheep must know what they are doing because mancha, that is some good good cheese!

I think I first noticed it in the queso and olive tapas at Jaleo in DC circa 2000. People at parties descend on it like vultures, if vultures ate cheese rather than .... um, carrion. In fact, this photo actually makes me hungry (carrion mention notwithstanding).  Apparently, it was even mentioned by Cervantes in the Don Quixote stories.  Hmmm, not sure I recall that from the darkening mists of undergrad, but clearly, Cervantes also knew good cheese when he had some. The cheeseofspain website describes it as slightly piquant and nutty (odd, I think someone described ME similarly).  Anyway, aside from all that, this is just exquisite cheese, and a standalone cheese. Doesn't even need crackers, or a pita, or a carb. It just IS.

5 comments:

Jane said...

And this is why I love you.....

Diane said...

I love cheese!

Queen B said...

I have learned a lot about cheese this week. I'll have to quiz the King on this one. When I asked him the difference between cream cheese and mascarpone, I got quite the informative lecture.

KFuj said...

While on the cruise this summer I had cheese for dessert several nights. St. Andres cheese is my new favorite, although I can't find it anywhere. I love Brie and Basket cheese too!!

Kim Thomas said...

I too am a fan of Manchego