Thoughts and photos by Lois. It's supposed to be funny, or thought-provoking, or both.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Placebo Buttons and Distracters

 
How hard can it be?  This is an elevator in a 2 story Barnes & Noble store. I think I'm the only one who uses it, because the kids think it's fun (hooray for free entertainment)...along with riding the "excalator" up and down.  It has a front door and a back door -- which explains the 1R and 2R buttons (rear door). But I have no idea why it needs 4 open and close door buttons.

A friend of mine said these are placebo buttons anyway; they don't actually change the door's timing, they are put there to placate impatient people like me -- those of us who are trying to get the doors to open or close faster. Ok, that makes sense, but why the extras in the fourth row?!? Does the vertical line represent a person?  Are we supposed to use them when someone is standing in the door, and you want to avoid crushing, or speed up the crushing?!? They're kind of like a fast forward button, but the vertical line is in the wrong place. In the time it takes to try to decipher what these buttons even do, the doors would already be opened, or closed. I'm so confused. And in the time it takes to travel ONE floor, I still can't figure it out.

Insights, anyone?!?!

5 comments:

Paula said...

Gman calls the escalator and the elevator by the same name: "alligator"

Jane said...

Speechless yet amused

Queen B said...

yeah, the random line in 2 of the buttons totally throws me off

The close button on the one at my office definitely works. It closes the door in about half the time it takes if you don't push it.

KFuj said...

Do the other buttons close the rear door possibly?

Kim Thomas said...

these are placebos? I find that hard to believe but I will begin testing in every single elevator I enter.